Pvc Tarpaulin refers to large sheet of durable, waterproof and flexible material made of vinyl coated polyester. These sheets are often coated with polyvinyl chloride (PVC). They are more heavy duty when compared to the polyethylene and they are mostly used where more reliable protection is needed.
Pvc Tarpaulin tends to be moisture proof, resistant to corrosion, abrasion resistant, or corrosion by acids, grease, oil and mildew. Modern inexpensive tarps are made from woven polyethylene which is equally strong and sturdy.
How Pvc Tarpaulin is made
The manufacturing process of Pvc Tarpaulin involves combining layers of plastic to create a high density and flexible laminate of tarpaulin. The HDPE fabric or what is commonly referred to as mesh is laminated with LLDPE plastic films, LDPE, or a combination of the two.
The result could be a three layer tarpaulin with one layer of woven fabric and two layers of LLDPE/LDPE coating on either side. Apart from the three-layer tarpaulin, there is also five layer tarps that consist of two layers of woven fabric sandwiched between three layers of LLDPE/LDPE plastic films.
Features of Pvc Tarpaulin
• Water resistance: PVC tarpaulin is designed for heavy duty protection from rain and moisture. There are different types of PVC tarpaulins that offer varying degrees of protection against moisture with some models being completely waterproof.
• Corrosion resistance: this feature determines how well a pvc tarpaulin resists corrosion from the ultra-violet rays, acids, oil, mildew and greases. Special coatings can be applied to the pvc tarps to offer resistance to various types of degradation.
• Abrasion resistance: refers to the ability of tarpaulin pvc to resist tearing and splitting when in use.
• Availability in a variety of finishes: pvc tarpaulin is available in different forms of weave options. These sheets can be made according to customer’s specifications as regards color choice, size and in a variety of finishes.
Common uses of PVC tarpaulin
• Covering houses during building and renovation: Pvc tarpaulin are commonly used during the construction process to protect masonry and brickwork from the elements of weather.
• Covering trucks: due to their waterproof nature, these materials are also used to cover truck in order to protect items being transported from damage by elements of weather. Pvc tarps is also resistant to corrosion and abrasion which is one of the important features of a protective cover.
• Hay tarps: individuals with huge stacks of hay have found pvc tarps essential in protection the hay from water and other elements of weather.
• Used for a fly during camping: pvc tarps can be used to provide shade during camping escapades. They are available in different types of colors and designs. They are a great alternative to camping tents since they are inexpensive.
• Snow fences and tent canopies: pvc tarps can efficiently be used as snow fences and tent canopies. These sheets are tough and they will resist all forms of abrasion from the snow there keeping a safe barrier.
• Pvc tarps have also been used to cover water towers. They are resistant to UV radiations and helps protect the water from contamination.